Unplanned school closings are usually related to winter weather, but can occur for a number of other reasons, such as power failures, or flooding. Please take time in advance to determine your individual plan for your children when schools are closed or begin late. The following information outlines how Ladue Schools makes decisions and communicates regarding school closings and late starts.
The following types of communication are used to alert parents and staff of school closings and late starts.
- Local Media: KSDK TV (Channel 5); KMOV TV (Channel 4); Fox2 TV (Channel 2) and KMOX Radio (AM 1120)
- Phone call and text message made through the district’s ParentLink system (314-983-5500) to the primary contact number for all students and staff
- District Website Home Page
- District Answering Machine: 314-994-7080
- Twitter: @LadueSchools
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/ladueschools
- Ladue Schools Mobile App Push Notification
Late Start School Times and Announcements
There are times when roads in the early morning hours are too dangerous for schools to start at the usual time, but are anticipated to clear at a later point. On these days, the district considers “late starts” so students do not miss an entire day of school.
A Late Start decision means the Ladue Early Childhood Center will open at 10 a.m. and all other district schools will begin one hour and fifteen minutes later than usual, as follows:
|High School:||8:45 a.m.|
|Middle School:||9:25 a.m.|
|Fifth Grade Center||8:45 a.m.|
|Elementary Schools:||10:05 a.m.|
Late Starts will be announced through the same communication methods as noted above. Please Note: Television and radio stations may only provide the option for the announcement to say “Delayed Start” or “Opening XX Minutes Late.” Please make note of the exact times noted above.
Before & After School Care
There will be no before or after school care on Late Start or Early Dismissal days.
Late Start Bus Schedule Times
Bus schedules will run one hour and fifteen minutes late. Calculate what this means for your child. As always, buses can run slightly early or late and it’s a good idea to have your students at their stop five minutes before the scheduled pick up time.
School Closings and Late Start Decisions
- Every attempt is made to make decisions prior to 5:30 a.m.
- All ParentLink calls are delivered within 20-25 minutes of the decision. There is no practical way to change call delivery times to suit the preferences of individual schools, families or people.
- It is important for the district to have accurate primary contact information for all families. Please make sure you have chosen the number you would like to have called in the case of school closings as your primary number. You can check or change this information through your student’s school building office.
- It is not possible to remove contact information from the school closing call list without removing the contact information from the calling system entirely. The district highly recommends against removing an entire family from the calling system. Emergencies of all types can occur and may require the district to get in touch with groups of parents and guardians very quickly.
- The district’s primary concern is keeping students safe and the severity of winter storms can be very unpredictable. As a result, decisions must be made with all students in mind. While your driveway, street or neighborhood may be fine, other roads in the district may pose problems for pedestrians, buses or staff members coming to work.